To increase the opportunity for disabled veteran firms to sell their products and services to the State of Wisconsin. A certified disabled veteran-owned business is eligible for a 5 percent bid preference. This means that the certified bidder must be within 5 percent of the lowest qualified responsible bidder.
The Wisconsin Department of Administration monitors state agencies' compliance with the purchasing guidelines that have been established for disabled veteran business procurement through this Act.
The Wisconsin Department of Administration certifies firms for eligibility to participate in the state's disabled veteran business bid preference program.
The bid preference program does not apply to printing firms, but they are encouraged to become certified so that agencies can procure printing orders from disabled veteran vendors to meet their purchasing goal.
- State purchasing and contracting under the 2009 Wisconsin Act 299 is targeted for certified disabled veteran-owned businesses.
- Certified disabled veteran-owned firms are eligible for a low-bid waiver as long as their bid is no higher than 5 percent of the lowest qualified responsible bidder.
- Certified disabled veteran-owned firms are eligible to be listed in the State of Wisconsin’s Directory of Service Disabled veteran-Owned Businesses which are circulated to state agency and University of Wisconsin System purchasing agents, and corporate buyers throughout the United States.
A disabled veteran-owned business (sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability corporation, and corporation) must meet the following criteria:
- At least 51 percent majority owner(s) must possess U.S. Department of Defense Form DD 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to prove service in the Armed Forces.
- Disabled Veteran document from the Department of Veterans Affairs or discharge paper from the branch of armed service, stating service connected disability rating under 38 USC 1114 or 1134 of at least 30 percent.
- At least 51 percent owned, controlled and actively managed by disabled veteran group members.
- At least 51 percent majority owner(s) must be resident of Wisconsin and the business has its principal place of business in Wisconsin.
Serving a "useful business function" and have customers other than the State of Wisconsin.
- Business must be at least one (1) year old under current ownership.
How to Apply
- Complete an online application for certification and provide documentation (status of disabled veteran owner(s), financial records, business activity, etc…).
- Must provide access to its business facilities and key personnel for an on site visit.
- A $150 certification fee is required, and $50 renewal fee each year. Please make checks payable to "Department of Administration."
Where to Apply
Applications and additional information are available from the Wisconsin Department of Administration by contacting:
Wisconsin Supplier Diversity Program
101 E Wilson St, 6th Floor
P. O. Box 7970
Madison, WI 53707
Tel: (608) 267-9550
Fax: (608) 267-0600
For additional DVB program information. Click here