1. What are the Inter-D mail functions?
▪ Sort all incoming United States Postal Service (USPS) mail
▪ Sort all interdepartmental (Inter-D) mail
▪ Pickup and deliver all Inter-D mail between state agencies
▪ Pickup and deliver all incoming and outgoing USPS mail for state agencies
2. What are not Inter-D mail functions?
▪ Transport personal mail or packages
▪ Transport office furniture from one building to another
▪ Transport Records Center boxes to and from the Dept. of Admin. Record Center
▪ Transport UPS, DHL, FedEx or any private courier mail
▪ Transport items that have been miss-delivered by a commercial courier
▪ Load hampers, cages, pallets for state agencies outgoing mail
▪ Shrink wrap pallets for state agencies outgoing mail
3. How is certified mail handled?
- Inter-D mail staff signs and receives certified mail at the U.S. Postal Service for the post office boxes at each location. The Inter-D mail unit picks up certified mail at the following locations at 7:25 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- U.S. Postal Service, 3902 Milwaukee, Madison, WI 53714-9998
- Capitol Station Retail, Manchester Building 2 E Mifflin St., Madison, WI 53703
- The certified mail from the U.S. Post Offices above are transported to the Department of Administration mailroom
- The certified mail is sorted to the appropriate state agency mail slot.
- Certified mail is delivered approximately by noon (depending on route) everyday to each agency along with the other interdepartmental and street address mail.
- Firm Delivery Receipts may be attached to some if not all of the certified mail pieces. Each agency receiving these Firm Delivery Receipts should verify each parcel tracking number and quantity listed on these sheets.
- If all information is correct, simply PRINT YOUR NAME, SIGN YOUR NAME and DATE the Firm Delivery Receipt. Place this into the outgoing interdepartmental mail tote.
- All printed, signed and dated Firm Delivery Receipts received by the Inter-D mail unit are recorded by the date the parcels were received from the U.S. Postal Service.
*Please note: If you need to find information about a certified mail piece, please follow the below information or you can simply visit: https://www.usps.com/, then click on “Track & Confirm”
Contact the Inter-D mail supervisor with the following information:
What day was the certified mail accepted at the Post Office?
Who is the certified mail addressed to?
Inter-D mail staff will research the Firm Delivery Receipts by date and tracking number to find if the certified mail was signed for at your destination.
4. How should Inter-D envelopes be addressed?
- Cross off previous address
- Include on the envelope:
- Person’s Name
- Department Name (Do not use acronyms)
- Room Number or Floor (if applicable)
- Verify that the address is current
- Address mail so that a non-state employee can understand the address
- Do not use P.O Boxes on Inter-D envelopes
- Do not use half of the Inter-D envelope for the address
*Please note: All Inter-D mail transfers are sorted and delivered by location and not recipient’s name.
5. How do I receive more Inter-D envelopes?
- Interdepartmental envelopes can be ordered through Staples or your MDS State of Wisconsin account. The Inter-D mail unit recommends the following SKU’s: STP511291, QUA63564 or QUA63560
- Please do not contact the mail truck driver and ask for “spares”.
6. If my agency is moving, what steps should I take regarding updating the Inter-D mail unit?
- Contact the Inter-D mail supervisor by electronic mail and/or telephone as soon as information of the move is available.
- Inter-D mail supervisor
- Office: 608-224-5031
- Cell: 608-444-4204
- Give as much information as possible such as:
- Address of old location
- Address of new location
- Date of move
- List of all Post Office Boxes forwarded to the old location
- Is there a mail room or loading dock at the new location?
- All Post Office Box forwarding address changes must be conveyed to the U.S. Postal Service. Contact the USPS at https://www.usps.com/.
*Please note: Mail delivery/pickup time(s) might change due to the new location.
7. What constitutes freight versus mail?
- The first priority of the Inter-D Mail is to pick up and deliver Inter-D and USPS Mail.
- Inter-D mail trucks may transport freight if the mail schedule permits. Contact the Mail Transportation Supervisor to confirm that they will be able to provide freight service.
- With the cost of fuel rising and the tight mail pick up/delivery schedule, Inter-D mail will be charging agencies for transporting freight.
- The following items are considered freight:
- Copy paper
- Blank envelopes & forms
- Office supplies
- Tape cases
*Please note: Inter-D mail does not transport furniture
Inter-D mail will use the following formula when charging the agency with transporting freight:
Time (rate of $0.41/minute) + Mileage (rate of $0.90/mile) = Total Cost
- When packing a box, limit the weight to 50 pounds or less. (As a gage, a full box of 8.5 X 11 20# paper is just less than 50 pounds.)
- Over filled totes, hampers, and/or cages will not be accepted by the Inter-D Mail staff. (If you have a hard time moving the hamper so will the mail handlers.)
- Multiple boxes and/or pieces of freight should be palletized and securely wrapped.
- Inter-D mail does not accept responsibility for any damaged items.
Mail Transportation Services (Inter-D)
Mailroom: 608-224-5168 • Supervisor: 608-444-4204 or 608-224-5031